Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My first TV interview

A few months ago I started volunteering as a production assistant on a community TV music show. The only skills I've been able to offer so far are research, admin and dealing with people.

I expressed my enthusiasm about Mountains in the Sky when I found out they were going to be on the show. I strongly suggested it would be a good idea for them to be interviewed because they were a pretty big deal in the Melbourne indie music scene. The producer suggested that I interview them and I said it would be cool, but I would have just been happy writing the interview questions for the hosts! I had one week to prepare for the interview. I listen to interviews all the time, but never really pay attention to the technique. I listened to as many interviews as I could that week to learn how a smooth interview goes and to get ideas for interview questions. Ever since I was a kid I always used to imagine myself conducting celebrity interviews and was conscious of asking unique and interesting questions. I don't know why I did it because I never had any desire to be an interviewer.

Anyway, on the day of the interview and I was so nervous that I was going to throw up my breakfast. I did as much research as I could about Mountains in the Sky and listened to their EP several times over. The last thing I wanted was to appear as a bimbo who asked stock standard questions. I'm not even pretty enough to be a credible bimbo. I'd probably be called stupid instead of a bimbo. At least the word bimbo infers that a girl has more looks than brains.

All the nerves disappeared the moment I sat on the couch with John from Mountains in the Sky. I faced the camera with confidence and introduced the band without missing a line. I asked the first question I had written down on my sheet below and from then on the interview flowed like a normal conversation, which I hoped it would. I managed to ask questions in response to his answers, rather than rigidly stick to the pre-prepared questions. I felt really good after the interview! John was nice enough to say that I asked good questions and the director also gave me positive feedback. I fumbled my words a few times and in hindsight, I think I asked a few stupid questions. I would like to watch the interview, but I think I'd squirm through it and be annoyed by things I could have done better. No matter how I feel after watching it, it was cool to have interviewed one of my favourite bands for my first interview. Next step - MTV.


Listening to: Mountains in the Sky - Accipio

1 comment:

Lolabola* said...

wow! that's an inspiring post. I'm always sure when I start reading a post like that that it will end horribly and I will wish I hadn't read through the embarrassment.